Monday, September 14, 2009

English Pronunciation

Last week I was at a local department store attempting to spread some money around to help the economy (I got a lovely one piece, full coverage swim suit for only $6 marked down from $40 and I don't even swim!) and I was behind a good old boy with tattooed arms neck to wrist who was attempting to be pleasant with the Pakistani check out clerk. I didn't understand a word he was saying; and I'm sure she didn't either. When it was my turn, I was tempted to mention it to her, but wasn't sure how much English she knew other than the basics--did you find what you need and sign here.

I noticed OSU has a class that even non-foreign students are allowed to take called
    Pronunciation
    Understanding English Pronunciation
    02 credit hours
    "An overview of the English sound system, with emphasis on understanding meaningful distinctions in rhythm, stress, and reductions. In-class practice of listening and speaking skills."
I'm pretty good with accents and dialects, but I have to say, this guy really put me to the test, and I failed. I've taken the on-line pronunciation quizes. Have no idea how authoritative they are, but apparently I'm part Canadian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your trips look great. Do you plan them or use a tour director?

Norma said...

We've used the University of Illinois Alumni travel to Germany/Austria, Ireland and Italy (it's virtually the same for any university), and for our local architectural bus tours through Ohio, Indiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New York (which accepts anyone who wants to go along) it's all arranged by a secretary, and she does a fabulous job, and finds great prices. Alaska we did on our own, but on the recommendation of someone who'd been there many times. The train trip to California (2003) we used a local agent who knew better how to take advantage of the various Amtrak specials and then hired a local tour agent in AZ, and in 2006 we hired a FLW guide for our side trips in California. The "Steps of Paul" tour of Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt was arranged by a member of our church who before retirement was in the tour business.

For Lakeside, we just get in the car; it knows the way.

Norma said...

Oops. Forgot Finland and Russia. We had friends in Finland we'd planned to visit, and when I saw how close Helsinki was to St. Petersbury I went on line and found a tour company out of Seattle who made the arrangements.

Anonymous said...

Pronunciation is refers to the way a word is spoken. It is very important to everyone.