Saturday, September 12, 2009

Forget Maytag

When we moved here in 2002 I bought a matching washer and dryer--I'd never had a matched set. My older models used to last 15-20 years, but they'd wear out on a different schedule. I'm about to go back to a mismatch. My Maytag dryer, which has been a constant frustration for seven years because it balls the clothes instead of fluff, needs a new motor, according to the repair man, to whom I gave $35 just to come and look at it. We thought it was the timer-switch, and even that was going to be about $150 with labor, but the motor is much more expensive, both in parts and labor. What a piece of crap. The repairman said he bought a rebuilt Maytag about 15 years ago, and now at 30, it's still going strong, but the new ones aren't worth piddle.

Anyone have a recent model (not Maytag) they'd recommend? The washer squeals when stopping after spin cycle, so maybe I should just start over with one of those efficient models. I have a CD coming due, and that's certainly not worth reinvesting, so maybe that's the route to go.


I'm not sure of the date of this photo, but I think it's about 1953, and my mother had her first automatic washer and dryer. Before that she used a wringer washer and we either hung the clothes in the basement (which I've been doing this week), or outside if the weather was good. These were in the downstairs 1/2 bath which in an earlier era, was a porch to the back yard, so this bathroom had four doors, one to the kitchen, one to Dad's office, one to the outside, and one to the basement. My mother was about 40-41 in the photo.

8 comments:

Norma said...

Not a good report on Kenmore at blogcritic.
http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/product-review-sears-kenmore-elite-washer/

Anonymous said...

The days of not buying an extended service plan are probably over.

Unknown said...

I bought this house last summer with brand new maytag appliances. This summer, our maytag microwave broke down. Not quiet a year old yet.

Norma said...

The racks inside my Maytag dishwasher have rusted--it might be 4 years old tops.

Marfis said...

How did your mother open that door behind her?

Norma said...

It cleared the appliances, and I don't recall there being a problem, unless one were using the bathroom and someone wanted to walk from the kitchen to the office, since the bathroom also acted as a hall as well as a laundry room. That's probably a 2' door, not 3'.

Ladybug Crossing said...

I have whirlpool... it's okay... Mom has GE... it's fine.

Nothing works like those old Maytags... Don't buy a new Maytag, though... piece of junk...

Norma said...

My Maytag dishwasher is actually 6 years old (pulled out the slip), so it's one year past warranty for the corroded racks. I should have checked that when I first notice a little corrosion about 2 years ago. Now it is galloping. I checked on-line, and they know the problem but haven't issued a recall. I suspect it's all junk.