Saturday, November 07, 2009

Donating blood--bring your itinerary

Today I was signed up to donate blood and I was at the church about 5 minutes early. I read through the instructions; I told the sign-in lady that I had had a long 20 minute conversation with someone at the 800 number about my trip in March--Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt. I was told then (2 weeks ago), that all the cities were cleared for malaria, and I should just report the conversation. She took me in to consult with some one in maroon medical garb and a stethoscope. "Were you there 5 years?" he said. "No, 10 days." "OK."

So after having my blood tested, my temperature taken, my blood pressure measured and my pulse checked, and answering all sorts of questions about AIDS, vaccinations and people I have sex with, the young woman who was recovering from the flu and still on antibiotics got to the travel part. Again I told her, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt. "Which provinces or cities?" she asked. Well, I hadn't brought along my itinerary, and Turkish names don't exactly tumble off my tongue. But I did remember Antalya and Mersin, which were flagged, so I couldn't donate blood. "But I was told. . . " just didn't cut it.

2 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

were they able to tell you how long you would have to wait until you were "in the clear?"

Norma said...

The date recorded is 03102010, which I suppose is one year after travel.