Monday, November 09, 2009

Monday Memories--CBYF visits Chicago


CBYF is Church of the Brethren Youth Fellowship and I think this photo of the group from the Mt. Morris, IL church is Spring 1954, but I can't be sure. The young woman whose face is almost hidden left school to marry probably around 1955 and isn't in that year's annual, so that's how I'm dating this. There were more in the group--perhaps 20 if all showed up--but this was probably a trip to the Museum of Science and Industry and other sights. The first seven of us from the left, all went to Manchester College, a Brethren school in North Manchester, Indiana, but I'm thinking that because of transfers and marriage, maybe only one or two graduated there (we all did graduate, though). The young man in the photo didn't fare so well--he's in prison for killing a policeman when he was drunk, and he already had an artificial leg from a drunk driving incident. I'm not sure who took the photo--probably our Sunday School teacher, Forrest, a jolly farmer who put up with a lot from us. Pastor Dean Frantz is at the far right--he would be about 90 now.

When I see how nicely we dressed in the 1950s, I always feel a little sorry for today's teens trapped perpetually in jeans and t's. My dress (I'm 4th from the left) was a very delicate aqua in a "bubble" embossed, shiny cotton with cap sleeves and a circle skirt.

3 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

How neat! I wish I had taken more pictures of me & my friends in Highschool and still had the ones I did take. sigh! I don't even have my old yearbooks (bought them all 3 years) but I left them behind when I moved out from a roommate who said they would get mailed to me...liar!

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that the young man in the photo was & is a faithful member of his MMHS class & often asks about his classmates yet today. He has had bad luck follow him most of his life...it might not be necessary to mention what the bad luck was or is. He is a nice guy regardless & I would like everyone to know that.

Norma said...

I didn't "forget" him at all--I always liked him and considered him a friend and was happy to see him at our '87 reunion, but he had 7 previous drunk driving felonies before he killed that police officer who had stopped to help another motorist and lingered in a coma for 5 days. Most of these types of fatal accidents are committed by repeat offenders.