Thursday, November 27, 2003

#108 A cup of coffee on Thanksgiving morning

Many employers really do give Thanksgiving Day off. This morning I had quite a search to find an open coffee shop. Panera’s, Caribou, Starbucks, Bob Evans, Tim Horton’s, Wendy’s, McDonald’s. All were closed so employees could enjoy time with their families, or time to sleep in, or time to clean the garage.

Finally I saw an open White Castle and pulled in. I’d never been in one. No house newspaper or classical music, just big windows and small booths, but the coffee was excellent. Perhaps because it was a holiday with no baggage for them, there were two Hispanics, an Asian woman, a developmentally disabled man, and a Canadian supervisor (I don’t know that, but his haughty attitude and countenance reminded me of Peter Jennings, so I’m calling him a Canadian) working the pre-dawn hours. I’ll have to stop back tomorrow--they wouldn’t take a $20--and said I could pay next time.

I found a turkey stuffing recipe using White Castles.
http://www.channel3000.com/health/2665725/detail.html I think I'd sub the
sausage sandwich.

10 White Castle hamburgers, no pickles
1 ½ cups celery, diced
1 ¼ tsp. ground thyme
1 ½ tsp. ground sage
½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
¼ c. chicken broth

In a large mixing bowl, tear the burgers into pieces and add diced celery
and seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth. Toss well. Stuff cavity of
turkey just before roasting. Makes about 9 cups (enough for a 10- to
12-pound turkey). Note: Allow 1 hamburger for each pound of turkey, which
will be the equivalent of ¾ cup of stuffing per pound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am doing a research experiment which analyzes public documents (such as blogs) authored by self-proclaimed American Christians. My goal is to count the instances of racist / prejudiced comments.

Please note I will be using this entry in my study. Because your blog is public domain, I do not have to seek your permission to publish excerpts and you will not receive a formal notification.
Thank you and Jesus loves you.

Dr. R. Watnicke
The University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z4
tel 604.822.2211