Friday, February 27, 2004

240 Voting Rights and Copyright blogs

When I was employed as a librarian, copyright law was always terribly confusing. Putting things on "closed reserve" was always a big issue--were we violating the law? I know I attended many workshops over the years on this topic.

Among my links I have an Ohio State law professor, Edward Lee, who seems to write frequently on this topic but is young enough to care about computer gaming and downloading music (I don't). On his website he has posted his most recent journal article (120 pages) on The Public's Domain: The Evolution of Legal Restraints on the Government's Power to Control Public Access Through Secrecy or Intellectual Property also an important issue for librarians.

Now he has convinced a colleague, Dan Tokaji, to blog in his specialty area of voting rights, especially as it is affected by technology. Equal Vote. After the controversy of hanging chads in 2000, I don't see electronic voting solving much--with no paper trail, but this blog will be enlightening. Are there computers that can't be hacked, compromised or that won't melt down when you need them most? Today's entry is on The Impact of the Holt Bill on Disability Access.

No comments: