Sunday, August 12, 2007

4046

Blogging blues

The laptop failed again. Very frustrating. So I'm back in the hotel lobby at the desk meant for little people, or the intention that you not stay long because of leg cramps.

Last night's program at Hoover Auditorium in Lakeside was Mike Albert, the big-E, an Elvis impersonator. I think this is the 5th or 6th time I've seen him over the years, and he's really a dynamic performer. He said it was the 9th performance in 10 days, but the show didn't get out until 10:45, so he always gives a lot. I wore my autographed scarf which he'd given to my son to give to me when he'd been to his shop in Columbus, maybe 2 years ago. Last night he had his own mother on the stage--said they'd sing together when he was young, and they did a little harmonizing for the audience.


Yesterday I wrote about silly things reported in the press about political candidates and mentioned Obama's church, Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. Last night at the program I was reading this week's (issue no. 10) Lakesider, and see that the Chaplain of the week is Otis Moss III, pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. It says he got a BA in Religion and Philosophy from Morehouse College, was a track and field athlete, then went to Yale where he got a Master of Divinity degree with a concentration in Ethics and Theology. Then it was on to Denver to pursue a PhD in Religion and Social Change. It says he created the Issachar Movement (I used to get a newsletter from them, I think).

See? I blog. They come.

I usually go to the Lakefront service at 8:30 on Sunday, not the one with the Chaplain of the Week in Hoover. In my life time I've heard so many liberal sermons I could probably preach one myself.

No comments: