Friday, April 03, 2009

Friday Family Photo July 1972





We all used to be skinny--even the kids. My husband and I have added some weight and our children some height (6'1" and 5'8") since this was taken at my mother's farm near Franklin Grove, IL in 1972. At that time we were still buying his suits in the boy's department--I think his waist was 28". But he actually got thinner. There was a serious recession in the 1970s and he lost his job in 1976 after first going to 4 days. It was a very troubling time for us--the marriage, the family, the budget, and especially his weight and health. He was only out of work three weeks, but it really upset everything, and he wasn't that happy at the "new" place where he became an associate and then a partner, and then an owner. It started to show on his slender frame. I don't recall the exact figure, but I think it was around 120 lbs.

We're chubby and fine now--so take heart. Unemployment is a terribly wrenching experience with many layers--lost friends and colleagues, fear, health problems, . . . new opportunities, although they may be down the road a few years. On the bright side--I'm betting our children remember none of this except climbing that cherry tree and running barefoot on the lane.

July 2002

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

losing a job is no fun...but as they say-what doesn't kill us makes us stronger...nice photos..pretty family...

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I agree. I have lost a lot of weight... I dont have a scale but my clothes are hanging on me. Now I had weight to lose, so this is good but seriously. The sacking of a man can be his emotional ruin. Even in this enlightened two income age. A man wants to provide for his family and when he cant it is a terrible thing. It plays havoc on them mentallly.

The before and after photo is very nice looks like you were going to a wedding!