Friday, April 24, 2009

Good source of book reviews

I read more reviews than books--occasionally even send a suggestion to my local PL. Studies in Intelligence at the CIA website is a good source, but I'd hurry. Who knows what Obama will allow in the future if he finds you (you're probably a right wing pro-life terrorist Iraq War veteran) visiting a CIA website. The latest issue reviews a book about Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) The physical journal is quite handsome, with really well balanced reviews. The reviewer makes careful note of things that matter to me--summaries, footnotes, bibliography, index, etc. I don't want a reviewer who writes like the new best friend of the author, or someone who only picks it apart.

Another book review source I really enjoy is JAMA--any issue. If you're not reading those, you're missing some excellent, thoughtful writing, even if the book might be over your level of medical knowledge. Plus, the poetry and essays are good. Great cover art. The April 1 issue has a painting of some government officials mulling over the economy.

Most of my actual links to government sources pre-date the current administration, so they may not be valid, but here's some interesting stuff about the CIA, including that 15 years ago they had their eye on religious groups.

No comments: