Thursday, May 13, 2010

How to straighten curly hair

Years ago I got "curly perms." I could wash, moisturize, scrunch and air dry (about 5 minutes), or wash, moisturize and blow dry (about 20-30 minutes) with a strong, round brush. The blow dry took a lot of wrist and hand effort, but resulted in a smooth hair-do with lots of body and a thick look. If I did nothing, I had a very bad hair day--total fuzz ball.

So I was a bit surprised to read today's under the fold, front page article by Corey Dade in the Wall Street Journal about the styling salons of blacks from Dominican Republic undercutting and out performing African American traditional methods. Yes, I know African women have extremely fine hair, much more so than white or Asian women, but straightening with a hair dryer and a strong hand and wrist using a roller brush sounds a lot more simple than applying chemical goop and spending hours at the salon. This video has no instruction, but you can see how it's done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you closed the comments on skin care I can't remark there how silly you two are sniping at each other since you are both wrong. Look at the part of your body with the smoothest, least wrinkled skin and you'll see it has little exposure to sun, air or commercial soap or creams .