Sunday, June 06, 2010

Dennis Hopper, 1936-2010

Somehow I missed the news that movie star Dennis Hopper died on May 29, but noticed it while reading Richard's blog, Three Score and Ten. Richard has interesting family and career stories, and knew Hopper through the business when he was younger. I think I'd seen him in two or three movies--Rebel without a Cause and Hoosiers. But I only remember Hoosiers. But he had over 200 roles in TV and movies, so I guess we just ran in different circles. When I did notice him in a small part, I think I mainly thought, "Oh yes, the crazy guy with the drug problems." As you can see, I'm not much into film. I didn't know about his art sideline/career. Seems to have been a really wonderful photographer even at a very young age.

Dennis Hopper, The Photographer : NPR

I checked the notice in the LA Times, which didn't seem to have much to write about except other people and the era in which he performed.

And what a messy way to die--with your wife and daughter battling for the estate. At least, why else does a near death, pain overwhelmed man file for divorce except his offspring are encouraging it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopper was the orginal rebel with not much of a cause...but I always enjoyed his work. I knew he was politically active and was surprised by the size of his donations to one party-he sort of went both ways there...and it is always sad to see such a scene when someones dies-you wonder if they ever cared for the persons $ they are fighting over? He took some mighty fine photos and maybe that is his legacy and not some of his off the wall movies.