Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hoarders on TLC

It's a bit like watching an accident. I usually clean up my desk or the kitchen after watching an episode. Today's (Hoarding: Buried alive) was about a couple in Columbus, Ohio. So I Googled the question, "do hoarders exist in third world countries," because it looked like some of these people have a serious affluence problem. And it was a Facebook question with people discussing animals who hoard and other odd behavior, so apparently you don't need to be affluent or have enough space to just go out and buy things. I've seen therapy on the show, but not many cures--it certainly breaks up families. Stuff is more important, so of course, the family or friends feel diminished. The adult children of the Columbus woman said they had a picture perfect childhood and a clean home when they were growing up. They won't visit now.

I see that TLC also has extreme couponing videos, but I'm the Columbus Anti-Coupon Queen, and I would hate to lose my title, so I don't watch.

No comments: