Monday, April 11, 2011

Not as good as I expected


Here's another item I purchased at Marc's that sounds better than it really is--Psalms and Proverbs in the New Living Translation. The NLT is nice--I have a NT paperback that was used with a class, but sometimes you just shouldn't mess with a classic. For instance, in the RSV, Proverbs 21:5 "The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to want." And in the NLT, "Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity . . ." Just doesn't have the same feel. Or, "The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need." No, do not mess with success.

Although I wouldn't use the King James Version for a study Bible, it should be remembered it was developed to be read with an audience, since so many people didn't know how to read in the 17th century. It is the Bible that went around the world with the English Union Jack, and helped English become a world wide language. It's a Bible of beautiful sounds, as well as thought. RSV follows it closely in the Psalms and Proverbs. NIV, which I've been using for about 20 years, pretty much keeps the same rhythm although not always the same words.

The reader is Mike Kellogg, a radio host of Moody's Music Thru the Night. But my experience with any part of the Bible on record, tape, or CD is that it gets monotonous. I've always thought having different readers would be better for sustained listening.

But it was only $3 for 6 hours of audio, so you can't beat the price. A better deal than sandals that hurt my feet. It is nice kitchen listening when I'm preparing a meal or cleaning up.

No comments: