Friday, March 09, 2012

Spanish language TV--Univision

Sometimes I watch Univision--the only Spanish language TV in our subscription plan. It's also the whitest TV I've ever seen. I'd say it takes me back to the 50s, except my parents didn't have TV. If it weren't for immigration stories or sports, I'd never see a brown person on Univision. Even the actors on the commercials are white. And have never seen a black or Asian in a feature or on staff. All newscasters and journalists are white. Novelas (soaps) actors are all white. Entertainment shows are white (although there are brown people in the audiences). I'm used to Fox News which has a good cross section of ethnicities--much more so than broadcast or other cable TV. Univision is billed as "the new American reality." Don't think so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting. I've been writing about this for ages, and it's great that a non-Hispanic person notices this too! Here's just one of the many posts I've written about it: http://lauramartinez.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/mexican-aspiring-chefs-are-oh-so-blond-beautiful/