Wednesday, February 07, 2018

What a parent likes to hear, Thank You.

From Michael Smith:

"My youngest son is 29. He called me last night to thank his mother and me.

When I asked him why, he told me that he and a couple of work friends were talking about the Spacex Falcon Heavy launch test yesterday and he had to explain to one of the friends - a 25 year old college graduate - that the rocket was not electrically powered.

My son was aghast at how a person could go through 4 years of college, get a degree in accounting, hold down a job for nearly three years and still have absolutely no concept of basic physical science. His friend believed the rocket had Tesla batteries in it. How that could create thrust, she couldn't explain - but she was really happy it was environmentally safe. His friend was totally blown away when it was explained to her the rocket was not battery powered but burned a mixture of liquid oxygen and kerosene to create thrust.

When I asked him why he was thanking us, he said "Because you and mom would never have allowed me to be that stupid."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Heavy  I don't usually cite Wikipedia, but this one looks pretty thorough, and I don't know enough about Falcon Heavy to even do the research.  But I do like it when kids say Thank You to their parents--even if they are almost 30.

No comments: