Tuesday, January 07, 2020

JOAN R. BARRIS, Good-bye to a great friend

So sad to hear of the death of Joan Barris, co-owner with her husband Dan of the Idlewyld Bed and Breakfast in Lakeside, Ohio. We had such fun together. She was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother, a terrific hostess and art and writing teacher. We enjoyed many breakfasts at their great B&B. I last heard from her on Dec. 29, at Cleveland Clinic, awaiting a stent procedure.

Another friend from Lakeside posted at Joan’s Facebook wall:

“It is with a very heavy heart that I am sharing the news that our dear friend Joan Barris has made her heavenly transition after an illness and hospitalization.

Many of you know Joan and her husband Dan as the wonderful innkeepers at Idlewyld B&B in Lakeside. I first met Joan in 2006 while attending an Artists Way retreat organized by Sandie King. I fell in love with Idlewyld and chose to host my next Indigo Connection retreat at Idlewyld. I returned to host retreats annually through 2017 and also began attending the wonderful watercolor painting workshops she hosted. Joan not only hosted our groups, but participated with us in most of our activities. She mothered and mentored us as our wise elder and will always be remembered for the very witty notes she took and later used to create poems for us each year as our retreats concluded. She was a creative soul in every way I can imagine and always curious to keep learning.

One of my fondest memories of Joan came three years ago while I was going through a very difficult time in my life. My husband George had just been hospitalized for many weeks and was transferred to a neurological rehabilitation facility. Joan had been following our journey and praying for us. I was able to visit Lakeside briefly for respite and stopped by Idlewyld to catch up with my dear friend. We sat quietly together on the sofa and I remember she held my hand and recited the poem below. Perhaps these words will help you find peace at this time of loss too. By sharing this, I see how spirit has allowed the circle to connect our first meeting with today's emotions.

These are the beautiful words from Artists Way author Julia Cameron that Joan used to comfort me in 2017

I wish I could take language
And fold it like cool, moist rags.
I would lay words on your forehead.
I would wrap words on your wrists. '

'There, there,' my words would say -
Or something better.
I would ask them to murmur, 'Hush' and 'Shh, shhh, it's all right.'
I would ask them to hold you all night.

I wish I could take language And daub and soothe and cool
Where fever blisters and burns,
Where fever turns yourself against you.

I wish I could take language
And heal the words that were the wounds
You have no names for.

I do not yet have details regarding a memorial service. Please pray for her beloved husband Dan and for the family at this time of sudden loss. May Joan be embraced by the glory and beauty of her creator.”

From the obituary:  Joan R. Barris, age 85 of Olmsted Twp., passed away January 5, 2020. Beloved wife of 65 years to Daniel; loving mother of Joanmarie (David) Vanaski, Martin Barris and Maribeth Barris; cherished grandmother of Summer Vanaski, Cori (Jacob) Snowberger and Katie Barris; great-grandmother of Amelia Barris, Landen Snowberger, Dayten Snowberger and Zinovia Barris; dear sister of the late Virginia Johnson; aunt of Gail Johnson.

Joan was the owner of Idlewyld Bed and Breakfast in Lakeside, OH for more than 30 years. She enjoyed watercolors and writing. She coached synchronised swimming at the Lake County West-End YMCA.

The Funeral Service will be held on Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 1 PM in the Chapel at Sunset Memorial Park, 6245 Columbia Rd. North Olmsted; where the family will receive friends from 11 PM until the time of service.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations may be made to Lakeside Chautauqua, www.lakesideohio.com/giving/ today. www.dostalbokas.com

No comments: