Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Positive self-talk from the 1600s

Sometimes I think positive self-talk is a fad from the pop psych of the 20th century, but today I read some advice from Saint Jane Frances de Chantel who died in 1641.  She founded the Order of the Visitation for women who did not have the stamina for the life of the traditional orders.  These women had been rejected for poor health or old age by other orders. I haven't yet looked up her writings, but found this one as "Meditation of the Day," August 12, 2019, Magnificat, vol 21, no. 6.

"No matter what happens, be gentle and patient with yourself.  Once in a while, if you feel particularly weak, without courage, without confidence, force yourself to make affirmations which are the opposite of your feelings.  Say with conviction: "My Savior, my all, despite my feelings of misery and distrust, I place all my confidence in you; you are strength for the weak, refuge for the miserable, wealth for the poor; you are indeed my Savior who has always loved sinners."

But, dearest, say these or similar words resolutely, without self-pity or tears; then turn your attention to something else. The Almighty will never let you slip from his arms, for he holds you firmly.  Don't you see how very gently he comes to your rescue?" 

Note:  I did find a video of an RCIA Initiation at St. Jane Frances de Chantel church, Sterling Heights, Michigan, which being 2020 shows the participants in masks and the pews roped off for social distancing. Two new members are baptized.  Others are being confirmed as adults. Their sponsors are standing behind them.   Usually this is done at Easter, but because of the pandemic was moved to Pentecost.  Some churches cancelled classes. Voices a little muffled. https://youtu.be/FLUUiCI8qGU


No comments: