Wednesday, September 09, 2020

The dumbest cancer movie ever

Last night I watched “Little Bit of Heaven” wondering the whole time why I was wasting my time, except it's the pandemic and I'm running out of old, stupid movies, and I like the actress, Kate Hudson, or the memory of her.  She made one really great movie, Almost Famous, and we can always hope. . . 

Our son, Phil, died at 51 in April of glioblastoma.  His first sign was a seizure in October. But one thing in the movie did ring true--her anger and hateful behavior toward her friends and parents as the hopelessness of the disease progressed. At 80 I moved in with Phil to take care of him, and eventually we moved him to our home. His friends (he was very popular and may have had more friends than Bob and I together) were wonderful to him and to us.  I'll never forget their kindness. Eventually, I'll forget his anger and maybe resurrect the good times--but then at 80, I'm forgetful anyway. 

Back to Hudson.  She has wasted her talent.  Also, I see it was a Weinstein movie. Enough said on the bizarre sex themes--from the condom pitch she, an ad executive, had to sell at a meeting, to the boy sex toy, to the little person (a male prostitute who calls himself “Little Bit of Heaven,” to her gastroenterologist who performed her colonoscopy with whom she has an affair.  And let’s not forget the black gay best friend and black female God she talks to--really so trite. Weinstein.

And the character’s name is Marley Corbett!

No comments: