Tuesday, June 06, 2006

2545 More on media mush brains

So, the Globe and Mail got it [see previous entry] but. . .here's a humorous piece by blogger Greg Strange on how this was written up by another Canadian paper.

"As reported in the Toronto Star, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were certainly puzzled. About the terror suspects, it said this: "They represent the broad strata of our community. Some are students, some are employed, some are unemployed." And, said the Star article, "Aside from the fact that virtually all are young men, it's hard to find a common denominator."

Yep, this is a real puzzler alright, but let me see if I can make some kind of breakthrough here. Hmm . . . Now let me think for just a moment . . . Okay, I'm going to look at the suspects' names first and see if I can detect any sort of pattern. I'm seeing names like Mohamed, and Ahmad, and, let's see now-- Oh, there's another Mohammed (with a slightly different spelling), and Abdul, and, well, what a coincidence, another Ahmad.

Okay, I think I'm zeroing in on a clue here. Wait a minute . . .

Okay, I've got it. They're all Muslim! That's the common denominator! Somebody alert the Canadian authorities because this could be really significant!"

2 comments:

Bonita said...

Yes, Muslim.

You see someone can have an Arabic name and not be Muslim. Four of my kids do: Ruhiyyih, Ruhu'llah, Taraz'ullah, and Rahmat'ullah. Ruhiyyih means 'purity', Ruhu'llah means 'the Spirit of God', Taraz'ullah means 'the Ornament of God', and Rahmat'ullah means 'the Mercy of God'.

They've all become their names, too. But, they are not Muslim.

Norma said...

I realize not all Arabic names are Muslim (and so did this author, since I'm quoting), but then you didn't name your sons Mohammed. Not all Arabs are Muslim. However, this report was stretching to never use the word Muslim and the blogger justifiably made fun of it.