Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Rather like a story we've read before

I have no interest in Hip Hop and the shooting death of Tupac Shakur, but I do care about what happens to our media, journalists and Truth. Read the sad, sad story at Smoking Gun about how a high esteemed reporter from the LA Times, Chuck Philips (who incidentally hasn't been fired and is still active) fell for phony FBI documents created by a convict who also lived in a fantasy world about what a big shot he was on the Hip Hop scene.

I'm no hot shot, award winning journalist, but if a 31 year old, white convict who has spent most of his adult life in prison told me in 2008 that in 1994 he was wheeling and dealing with black hip hop artists--with deals that would go back to when he was even younger, I think I could have subtracted 14 from 31 and guessed that performers worth millions probably weren't linking up with 17 year old teen-agers. Come on!

No comments: