Friday, April 25, 2008

What to wear in Italy

Cannes, the site of the film festival, isn't in Italy, but it's close enough. I saw an article on what to wear in Cannes (for the festival and site seeing), so I thought it would be a good hanger for my travel wardrobe in early summer when we visit Italy.
    Daytime--women
      designer jeans
      colorful tight top or
      wrapped dress in bold print
      trimmings of diamonds, flashy handbag and expensive sun glasses

    Evening--women
      bleached teeth
      designer gown
      a tan

    Sight-seeing
      good flats or expensive sandals (absolutely no athletic shoes)
      you can also use the sunglasses, jeans, tight shirt and white teeth

    Men--Daytime
      tight jeans
      fitted white shirt or
      rocker t-shirt
      expensive shoes
      gold Rolex

    Men--evening
      Tuxedo

I'm not sure my on-sale Talbot's jeans with sparkles and flowers qualify; even so, I do hate to see women "dressed up" in jeans--especially tight jeans. Ladies, I think the gay designers are after our men, because most of us just don't look that terrific after age 16 in tight jeans. Muffin tops, saddle bags, cellulite, sausage links--you know the routine. What we look like in that 3-way mirror in the store is exactly what someone walking behind our behinds sees.

So here's my plan--black, white and taupe, with a little color thrown in for evening. I now have two new pair of black sandals, and one pair of black walking shoes--tie oxfords. I agree with the writer--athletic shoes for strolling around ancient ruins and art museums look a bit tacky. But so do tight jeans on plump or saggy Americans.

No comments: