Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Liberals and fascism

“Scratch a "liberal" and you'll find a fascist. I've never met a leftist yet who does not despise ordinary people and who does not harbor a hankering for authoritarian dictatorship by elites.” Patrick Joubert Conlon commenting on Thomas Friedman who thinks we need liberal fascism.

I'm always surprised by the liberals who can forget or ignore the millions and millions of Chinese murdered by their own government and then praise the result as benign. Although it happens so often, I don't know why I'm always caught off guard. Heard the same sentiment at the lectures on China this summer at Lakeside from people in the audience old enough to remember what happened in the 1940s.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's more to Friedman's article.

Contextomy, Contextomy, Contextomy.

Norma said...

Absolutely. He's written volumes and columns galore. But that doesn't mean he doesn't mean what he says about dictatorship. He certainly isn't the only liberal who talks this way. You guys aren't very original. James Taranto noticed it too--saw it in his column. Now if you have complaints about BornAgainRedneck's assessment, please go to his site and provide them.

Anonymous said...

There goes that disclaimer of yours again. Why are you ashamed to take ownership for the nonsense you promote?

Norma said...

Because I don't own what someone else writes. Here's a bit of librarian trivia. When someone writes you a letter or an e-mail, you own the physical piece but not the content. But that's only our (USA) law; in other countries, you might also own the content. This also applies to architectural drawings and other works. You can own the rolled up, tattered house plans you paid for, but the architect owns the intellectual part, and you can't change or sell it or take credit for it without permission.

Patrick will just drive you wild, I'm sure, since his entire blog consists of short pithy comments and long quotes. Of course, I see a like mind, or I wouldn't link, however, complaints on the original need to go to that writer. It's hard for you not to love a liberal or progressive or marxist, I know, so don't waste your time complaining that I don't agree with you. But still, you are such a loyal reader, I should be nicer.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that your troll can't defend any of her points, but wants you to defend someone elses.

Joubert said...

Oh, boy! Norma, I wonder where these leftist anymice come from. I don't make comments on leftist blogs but I guess they have to "save" us from our ignorant conservatism.

I read one of Friedman's books: Liberalism and Terrorism. It was boring. The point that he was making was that it is difficult for (classical) liberal Western democracies to fight terrorism. Friedman is a very confused person.

Thanks for the link.