Friday, February 07, 2014

Baked French Toast for 12

Or one. Me.

I've tried a recipe in my New Inglenook Cookbook (Brethren Press, 2013) and declare it tasty. It's baked French toast, but the mix is eggs and orange juice with the soaked bread baked in a glaze of butter and cinnamon. It was a camp recipe to serve 12 so I reduced it and left out the sugar, which was rather high.

10 eggs, beaten (I used one)
2 cups orange juice (I used 1/4 cup)
1 cup butter, melted (I used a Tablespoon)
1 1/2 cups of sugar (didn't use it)
1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (sprinkle)
24 slices thick-sliced crusty bread (I used 2 heels and one dried out bakery something)

  • Preheat oven to 325.
  • Combine eggs and orange juice.
  • Combine butter, sugar, and cinnamon and divide between two 13 x 9 baking dishes (I used one 8 x 8).
  • Spread the butter mixture around to thoroughly coat the bottom of the dishes.
  • Dip the bread into the egg mixture, turning to coat thoroughly.
  • Lay the bread in the dishes.
  • Bake for 25 minutes.
  • When ready to serve, flip the bread pieces over so the glaze is on top.

No comments: