Friday, February 21, 2014

Un-stuffed cabbage rolls

I love cabbage rolls, and although this has no rice (which I recall is in my recipe), I think this sounds yummy—in fact I think I’ve made it and just didn’t have a name. From Fifty Plus and Getting Fit.  I usually skip oil and to test it I’ll probably use half the amounts or we’d be eating it for a week.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small cabbage, chopped
    2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

No comments: