Thursday, October 16, 2003

#34 Do plants grieve?

My mother gave the children each a plant back in the 1970s. I kept them on the kitchen window sill in their original pots for thirty years. Obviously, they didn’t look too great with their little roots all squashed like that. But they did survive. Mom died in 2000. The plants began to falter. One died. The other one I brought with us when we moved, and even bought some potting soil and moved it to better “digs.” But it died within weeks.

I bought a nice house plant for my son’s wedding reception at our home in 1999. We had about 80 people for brunch and I wanted a little natural greenery in place. I didn’t expect it to live long, but it did fine. My son and his wife are in the process of getting a divorce. Today I noticed the plant is dying.

No comments: