Wednesday, September 28, 2005

1553 Library Juice runs dry

Not sure that you would care--I don’t really. Library Juice is a radical left wing librarian's on-line serial, whose writer/editor smugly proclaimed to be above the blogging fray. I don’t link to him although I do link to liberal blogs about librarianship (the majority of librarians are liberals, but many can stay on topic, promote the profession and do an excellent job in their blogs). Jack Stephens has a note about this at Conservator, referring to Lethal Librarian and reports that while proclaiming to support freedom of information, Library Juice also published 7 different issues in support of Fidel Castro, old Mr. Fuzzy Bear himself.

I hope Mr. Litwin can find himself (he's going to start blogging). He seems to violate everything our profession used to stand for, and now that the profession is struggling to stay afloat, maybe he's jumping the [librarian]ship.

Blake, at LISNews.com also commented on Library Juice. "Rory was a big part of LISNews for years, and if I remember right, one of his big problems with LISNews is how I let everyone have a say. I don't subscribe to that theory in any way. However much I may want to start firewalling people that annoy me, I'll just never do it. I'll never avoid conversations I don't want to have by silencing everyone. It's easy to figure out who is a delusional nut job and who is interesting and informative, and I read people based on the reputation they've made for themselves. I don't think it does any of us any good if I silence them. I welcome constructive criticism, and I also welcome people I disagree with into my world."

No comments: