Saturday, June 10, 2006

2559 A Prairie Home Companion, the movie

We did it--we paid full price to see a movie, the fictionalized account of the closing down of a 30 year old radio show on WLT (with lettuce and tomato). A few minutes into the show and something started to sound familiar (other than the radio show which we'd listened to years ago). "I think these people were at Lakeside," I whispered to my husband when Robin and Linda Williams were performing. I just had some vague recollection that someone who performed last summer had mentioned they were making a movie with Garrison Keillor. So when I got home I checked my blog, and there they were. I knew this thing would come in handy some day. Never mind that I'd totally forgotten their performance until I saw them in the movie and had forgotten there was going to be a movie until I read the review in a local paper. Their web page with a synopsis of the movie.

My husband thought it was funnier than I did. It takes the usual pot-shots at Christians, but what else is new? I would have felt much better if it were at the dollar theater where we usually go (on the rare event we see a movie), but you never know if a film will turn up there. I just find it hard to believe people will pay $8.50 for a first run movie.

The woman sitting next to my husband was rather large--tall and plump--and brought in a huge bag of food, so she was rattling snack packages, and munching and shaking the whole row when she moved. The adverts are way too loud and ridiculous. It's a lot of money to pay to watch 15 minutes of commercials. Even at the one dollar theaters.

No comments: