Monday, June 12, 2006

Monday Memories

Have I ever told you about the summer we bought our little Lakeside cottage?

The summer of 1988 was ghastly hot--and a drought in Ohio. We'd rented a small cottage north of Fifth Street in Lakeside for our summer vacation. We thought it a blessing that it had recently been renovated and had ceiling fans. Even a walk along the lakefront brought no relief; a night cruise on Lake Erie felt like a door slammed in your face when the boat stopped moving. One day we were walking the perimeter of the town, whether for exercise or from an attempt to get away from the oppressive heat, I don't remember. And there it was. A little cottage with a "for sale" sign that we'd never seen. I climbed up the broken concrete steps to the back door--"Oh my goodness," I shouted, "it has a real kitchen, and a basement!" We walked around to the front and tried the porch door--it was open. We peeked into the living room. "It has a fireplace," I gasped. "This is a house, not a cottage."

Being the practical sort, I figured if you had to pay a mortgage 12 months of the year it would be nice to be able to use it 12 months. So we contacted the realtor, but also looked at two other cottages, one a large "4 square" from the early 20th century and one a small red 19th century farm house style. Both looked very nice on the outside, but were very cottagey on the inside, with either board thin walls or cut up tiny rooms. When we finally got into the "Thompson place" (cottages are always known by the long time owner's name), we were smitten. The widow who had started to renovate after her husband died had been diagnosed with cancer and moved to Florida. But she had already installed a.c., storm windows, new bathroom fixtures, and additional kitchen cabinets, so we knew that as long distance owners, we wouldn't have that worry.

Our mortgage on our home in Columbus had recently been paid off, so we weren't too alarmed by taking on a new one, except that in 1988 mortgages were 10.5%. I had taken a tenure track position in 1986, so we had that cushion. Still, I had a month or two of sleepless nights worry about debt, but it gave me something to think about other than my kids who had recently left home. We love living there in the summer, which we are now able to do, and have always enjoyed the cultural events (Chautauqua circuit) which include a month of symphony, summer theater, opera, ballet, pop music, lectures, Bible studies, vespers and art classes.

A summer home is rarely a good investment when you figure you only use it a few months of the year, but in the early years of owning it, we did go up more frequently off season than we do now. It's paid for now and has appreciated considerably (5 or 6 times more than the purchase price)--in fact, we couldn't afford this house if we were looking today. However, we've replaced the roof, added a deck, replaced the HVAC, landscaped and completely redecorated inside and out.

The one thing we were going to replace the first season, is still there, and that's the funny little porch that doesn't fit the 1940s design of the cottage. You just have to have a porch at Lakeside, and although this one is ugly, it is tight, easy to heat or cool, acts as passive solar in the winter, and protects the main house in the summer. We sure haven't forgotten that first hot summer of 1988, even though it's never been that bad again--and today we wouldn't be able to get a variance to replace it.

If you'd like to join in on Monday Memories, leave a comment and I'll link back to you.

1. Ocean Lady 2. Libragirl, 3. Yellow Rose 4. Mysterious Lady, (bring along a hankie) 5. The Shrone, 6. Carol, 7. Lazy Daisy 8. Melli, 9. Flip Flop Floozie 10. Ma

Click here for the Monday Memories code

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is pretty! Pretty pink house. That is great that it has appreciated so much!! My new address for Monday Memories and Thursday Thirteen is:
http://0ceanlady.wordpress.com/

I'm still using blogger for different things, but I'm using WordPress for the heavier traffic days and other things. :)

YellowRose said...

What a sweet place and what a sweet memory of how you found it!! I bet there is many great memories there!!

My MM is up!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful memory. Looks like a nice cottage!

Mines up!

Anonymous said...

Norma,
I finally got my memory up! :)
It's at:
http://0ceanlady.wordpress.com/

I don't think Shelli has updated the address yet. I'll go and ask her. :)

Melli said...

Sounds like that was a very sound investment! Lucky lucky you!

Carol said...

A summer home sounds wonderful, and I'm happy for you that you found such a nice one. Thanks for visiting my Monday Memory. Silly me, I didn't realize it was an organized event each week. I'll have to look into getting the code and joining the blogroll.

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, what at wonderful place. YOu certainly have done a lot of work on it through out the years. What a lovely memory. My MM is up.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Hello thanks for visiting my site today!! You made a good investment all of those years ago. Very nice Monday Memory.

Anonymous said...

What a great investment you made. I love it! I would love to have something like that to just live in daily, not only the summer. :)

Thanks for stopping by my MM.