Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen things on my to-do list for Thursday night dinner.
1. First, take care of the hostess, because as the saying goes, "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

2. So, have everything ready by Wednesday evening, and most of the food by Wednesday noon.

3. Plan the menu--keep it simple with limited number of dishes, easy shortcuts.

4. Buy the food on Tuesday and remember to thaw the meat.

5. Boneless pork roast with orange/cranberry sauce (keeps it very moist), potato salad (I buy a tub at Meijer's deli and add more potatoes, eggs and olives), sugar free orange jello with shredded carrots and crushed pineapple with cream topping (instant vanilla pudding mixed with milk, orange juice and sour cream, stuffing (box mix) with corn, onions and celery added. This gives the guests a mix of hot and cold, vegetable and fruit. Dessert at this writing is a bit up in the air. None of us in this group needs Chocolate peanut butter pie, but that might be it--with an alternative of mixed fresh fruit.

6. Assign the "pot luck" portion. This dinner is for our church's visual arts group--total of 6 family units, some couples, some singles total of 10 people.

7. Three get to bring wine, 2 red and 1 white, one a tray of snack crackers with cheese, and one a specialty bread from Great Harvest or Panera's. This will keep everyone out of my small kitchen and is no work for me.

8. Clean up as I go. On Thursday afternoon, everything will disappear from counter tops so I will look like Mrs. Clean (even though I'm not). For some reason, people like to hang out in kitchens, but I'll be on the deck with the snacks.

9. Vacuum and dust, clean bathrooms and mirrors.

10. Check paper goods, serving dishes and utensils.

11. Set the tables--while praying it doesn't rain because 4 people will need to sit on the deck (right next to the dining room window which will be open). Plan B will be to bring in a small table for the living room. Put the roast in.

12. About 6 p.m. Thursday, warm up the stuffing, take out the meat to let it "rest" before slicing. Put out the cold items.

13. 6:30, lock up the cat, open the door, welcome the guests and enjoy their good company.

1. Benjamin Solah 2. pupski 3. Lazy Daisy 4. Friday's Child 5. reverberate58 6. Aileen 7. carmen 8. trish 9. Mary 10. Uisce 11. EmilyRoseJewel 12. Diane 13. Christine 14. Jane 15. heather 16. Jenny 17. Scone 18. laura 19. angie 20. Tey 21. Kendra 22. Empress Juju 23. Susan 24. Pink Chihuahua Princess 25. anneberit 26. Froggie 27. Titanium 28. Lesly 29. ivan girl



(If you participate, leave your link in the auto-link and it will post here, but please leave a comment.)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things.

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your list makes me hungry. Thanks for visiting my T13!

Julia said...

wow sounds like you are a good hostess!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It's making my mouth water. Are we invited? (Lol)
My T13 is up too.

Lazy Daisy said...

Norma, so sorry, I did comment, guess I didn't get the code right. Your menu sounds divine, and I'm sure it will go well as you are so organized and such a great hostess. Loved #1 especially!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Your menu has made me sooooo hungry!!

I am in the same boat with the vaccuming and cleaning and planning my menu for the week. My parents fly in this Saturday to visit for a week. Do you know what that means? Free babysitters! My hubby and I will be a-smooching at the movies!

Carmen said...

Ok, I want to come to YOUR dinner. It sounds delicious!

Trish Ess said...

Do you give "How to be a great hostess" lessons?? :)

Happy TT! Mine are up.

Uisce said...

count me in, yum!!

Unknown said...

Can I come?! It looks wonderful! Yum, yum! Sounds like you have it all under control too. Have a great dinner and enjoy yourself, don't work too hard. My list is up!

Unknown said...

I'll have to try adding all the little extras for potato salad and stuffing. Sounds wonderful! When's dinner served? Have a great time and enjoy yourself. Thanks for stopping by my TT!

Heather/SHTEZQ said...

thanks now i am hungry :) happy TT

Anonymous said...

It's sooo important to be organized when one is entertaining a large group!

I hope the dinner went well, and that Mama stayed happy!

Susan said...

Planning such a menu is simply not something at which I excel...sounds like you do, though!! Enjoyed your list and hope dinner was perfect.

My TT is up here.

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

Remembering to thaw the meat is an important step to include in your list. I really hate it when I have to waste time thawing meat before I can even begin cooking. It makes for such a late dinner.

Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have everything planned :D Hope you enjoyed it!!

Froggie said...

Sounds like you got everything all planned and figured out. The menu sounds wonderful... can I come? :)

Natalie said...

Hope it went well. :)

I'm catching up today on my reading, as I had trouble with Blogger yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Sounds delich!

Yes its funny about people congregating in the kitchen, isn't it? No matter how tiny our kitchens have been (we have had numerous homes) our guests have collected there! I suppose its to keep the cook company and enjoy some talk!

Hope it all went a treat.

Ivÿ said...

wow! your T13 makes me hungry...:)

thanks for visiting my T13..:)