Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sticker shock

Yes, you can vacation closer to home and help the local economy, but for those of us who own property in Lakeside, the first week-end when we buy our passes is always a killer. I just spent $967 for 2 adult passes and a car pass for the season. Those of you who come here for the occasional week or week-end seem to think that if we own property, we don't pay. We pay much more than the visitors, because we pay the association dues (like a condo, we don't own the land on which our cottage sits), the confiscatory real estate taxes of the township (we are their golden goose), and we also buy passes and car passes which get us in and out the gates and into the auditorium to see the programs. This year, because of our trip to Italy, we'll only be here part of the season. And then there's the maintenance, upkeep and utilities which goes on for 12 months, not just the season. There is really no way to make a vacation home pay--unless you sold it 2 or 3 years ago at the peak of appreciation. You have to want it for other reasons--the community of friends, the beauty, the programming, or the accessibility. We've been vacationing here since 1974 and have been owners since 1988--20 years. Each year I run through all the reasons we do this. . . so that's what this is. . . the reasons we do this.

Tonight's program is Mike Albert, an Elvis impersonator. I never really cared much for Elvis when I was a kid, but Mike has helped me with that. This will probably be the 6th time I've seen his show. Of all the Elvi that have appeared over the years, he is the best in my opinion. He does a lot of shows in the midwest, so if you ever have the opportunity, don't miss him.

This morning I had a wonderful cup of coffee at Coffee and Cream, read the paper, then stopped across the street at the Patio to join my husband and neighbors Bill and Marilyn who were having breakfast. We chatted with Brent--this is his 18th year of owning the Patio. We reminisced about the night it burned down. My husband has a nice art show there, and prints and a few originals at Artists-in-Kahoots up the street.

Last night we had dinner again at Evelyn's. Oh, you're going to love this place. Fabulous dinners, and desserts to die for. Evelyn's will be staying open to serve dessert after the programs. I've had the carrot cake, my husband the chocolate torte. My goodness. Don't miss this treat. This is their first season as Lakesiders and business people (here), so be kind and support them. We want them to stay!

No comments: