Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mother's Ham Loaf

In honor of my mother's birthday, I'm going to share her wonderful Ham Loaf/meatball recipe. When there was a church dinner, this is what everyone wanted. I'm making it today, but I've reduced the portions a bit--and the mix I got is beef, pork and veal--so who knows what it will taste like with no ham in the ham loaf! I'm sure it's the ham that makes it yummy.
    1/2 lb. ground veal
    1 lb. ground smoked ham
    1 1/2 lb. ground fresh pork
    1 cup bread or cracker crumbs
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs

    Have the 3 meats ground together; combine with crumbs, milk and eggs and shape into a loaf. Make a sauce of 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. mustard, 1/2 cup diluted vinegar and pour over the loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours. Baste frequently with the sauce.

    Alternate idea: Instead of sauce, fold into the meat mixture 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, 1/2 tsp. mustard and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar. Serves 8.
This is in the family recipe book, "Taste the Memories," which I created for our 1993 family reunion.

Also from the cook book:
Mrs. Felker's coffee cake
Aunt Dorothy's Taco Salad
Julie's Vegetable Lasagna
Norma's Sweet Sour Meat Loaf
13 cookbooks on my shelves

No comments: