Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Our Italy Itinerary--Buon Viaggio!

Unlike the librarian in a previous entry, I will not be donating any money to a library (since I know from personal experience how it will be used), but I will be enjoying my fine University of Illinois education in Russian, Spanish, secondary education and library science, and 20 years of saving and investing 15% of my magnificient salary at Ohio State University by visiting Italy with other U of I alumni. Here's a site of photos at the AHI webpage. Here's what we'll be doing.
    Day One: Leave Chicago for Naples
    Day Two: Arrive in Naples, get on a bus for Sorrento, and if my legs are working and I'm not asleep, stroll around town.
    Day Three: Motorcoach along the Amalfi Coast. Visit Positano. Back in Sorrento attend lecture and discussion.
    Day Four: Pompeii. Meet the folks of Sorrento to hear about their lives.
    Day Five: Isle of Capri.
    Day Six: Discussion--I hope this doesn't last all day, but that's all I see on the program.
    Day Seven: Motorcoach to Orvieto. Wine tasting event
    Day Eight: History of Orvieto and Umbria and Italy. Focus: Etruscans, who were there first. Walking tour. Cathedrals. Cobblestone streets. Tired feet. Discussion of Renaissance Art.
    Day Nine: Walking tour of Florence. Architectural highlights.
    Day Ten: Perugia and Assisi.
    Day Eleven: Free day for sightseeing, shopping, etc.
    Day Twelve: Motorcoach to Rome (which we won't see except the airport). Fly home. Based on previous tours, the only place we won't hear understandable English is the O'Hare Airport.
I surely do hope the trip is better than my condensed description; I answered a lot of obscure questions about animal innards (what is the fat content of gorilla milk?) and conditions (are cats color blind) to earn this trip.

At my church blog, I have a list of the top 10 Christian sites to see in Italy. We will see some of them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,Norma... it was nice to see one that didn't take on Obama...I counted ten current blasts...geez....It is history baby...even if he can't win the thing..and I am so proud of my country..Hope your trip is everything your heart desires...Life is good for you...remember that when you get the "grunps"..Love, Lynne

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Have a good trip. It sounds a lot like the tour of Italy I took with my wife when she was herding a bunch of high school students (a regular thing with her), but we didn't take any wine tasting events. (well we caught a few students in the process, and had to take steps.)

Anonymous said...

Only 10? She's slipping. There will be more babies killed in the womb; more engergy left off shore for the Chinese; more businesses stranged by e-regulations; more amnesty for illegals; more poor left behind as investors leave our cities; more corruption as the Chicago dem-dons move on to DC. Only 10? Yes, hope and change. I can hardly wait.

Laura Paxton said...

Hope you have a great trip! Someday I'd love to go!

Lady-Light said...

I was sure you would comment on my Tim Russert post; now I know why you didn't. Norma, have a great trip!

Lady-Light said...

By the way, I love your horses!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh have a blessed and safe trip! It's been my dream to go to Italy and I can't wait to live vicariously through you.

Laura said...

I just found your blog. What an exciting woman. I still have much more to read on your site, but I'm enjoying thus far. Looking forward to reading about your exciting trip!