Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas shopping finished

It will be low key this year. Usually we've made a major gift to the children, but this year it will be a modest gift card and a book or two. Always a mistake, however, to stroll through Wal-Mart without lots of resolve. I went there to get my son's gift card, but wandered around finding things I didn't really need which almost doubled the bill. Like 6 kitchen towels for $5. My 40 year old towels are a bit faded and ragged, but they still work. I did find a floor mat made in the USA--"I'm proud to be an American." Didn't buy it. Found some wash clothes--those always get grungy fast--but passed on the towels. I was out of paper towels and some food items, so I picked those up. One bright spot--I had the most pleasant check-out person.

We haven't yet worked out how we're doing Christmas dinner--I think someone's waiting for me to act. Tomorrow we've got our couples group dinner and I'm taking my Christmas salad. I've had 3 hits on it today. So someone else is looking for ideas too--it's great--and very festive. The cards and letters are slowly coming in.

No comments: