Thursday, October 29, 2009

Write what you know

And David Myers certainly knows about prisons--he worked in corrections for 30 years. He and his daughter Elise have authored his second title for Arcadia Press, Central Ohio's Historic Prisons. Here’s the story.

We spent a lot of time in Ohio prisons back in the 70s, following a friend around for visiting hours on Sunday afternoons when our children were small. Most recently we added a fourth to our list when we participated in a closing ceremony at Marion for Kairos.

The Myers family belongs to UALC, and is active in many arts projects and local theater, Dave having written a history of the local music scene, Columbus; the musical crossroads.

2 comments:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

on my first reading I missed the "Ohio" identification, so when you mentioned Marion, I assumed you meant Marion Federal Penitentiary in Illinois. (I taught Public Speaking Classes there for one term while a Doctoral Student at Southern Illinois University (The only time in my life that I was strip searched while going to work). As I read the article it was more clear and still rang bells with me since I got my Masters at Ohio U. in Athens and I traveled that region well (I was supplementing my graduate assistantship working as a picker for antique stores in the area.)

Norma said...

Our trips through the Ohio prison system in the 70s to visit "our guy" were memorable. And looking back, I can see why my mother didn't approve taking our pre-schoolers in with us.