Thursday, November 12, 2009

A generation raised to expect breakfast

The man in front of me at Panera's today (fabulous bakery items, in case you've never been there) was buying a delicious selection of breakfast goodies--dense in calories and nutrition. In jest I said something like
    "You must be really hungry today."

    "These are for my employees. I love to see their smiles and they work harder."

    "How nice," I replied. "All I ever got was a paycheck for working hard."
When we were out of earshot of others, he explained in hushed tones the real reason.
    "I'm a contractor and I've learned that most of my mid-20s employees grew up getting breakfast, lunch and snacks provided to them by their schools. They have no idea how to feed themselves and they expect to be fed by whoever is in charge. When I give them a job to do, they say, 'But we haven't eaten yet.' "

    Most are on food stamps and they come to me from an agency. If I want them to work, I have to feed them."
I'm still in shock. What have we done?

2 comments:

Hobo said...

You said what and asked?? "I'm still in shock. What have we done? "

That must be the place where you said you jest.

And it's not so much what we have done but what, as grown, educated and experienced adults, we still do!

Oh so often I hear people of our generation say, "Well, it's screwed up, it's wrong, but I can't (read that as "won't") do anything about it.

He doesn't HAVE TO provide them food, he chooses to do so. And he goes even further in his "support" of this attitude of his workers in his selection of food and it's source. If he can do NOTHING else he can provide them day old rolls and bread and some fruit. I can tell you this, Panera's is not the cheapest place to buy breakfast items. He's being blackmailed and paying for the privilege!! If they won't work unless he feeds them then he needs other workers and they are available in today's economy!

Many of our problems today can be explained in the same way we explain not voting at all when both candidates are distasteful to us. By NOT voting (taking positive action) we support the negative situation.

Too many people choose the path of least resistance because life is not and never will be easy. But without the struggle what is and how do you measure success?

Norma said...

I thought something quite similar as I listened to his explanation. But he was smiling, and I suspect he had no choice in the "workers" he was sent. It's like the employers who realize that Gen-Y workers need prizes and awards to work or they'll go elsewhere (well, maybe not now). I found it unbelieveable--but then I'm retired.

Locally, I think some schools are starting later because students can't wake up (in order to eat their school provided breakfast?).

I have written about the school feeding programs (more USDA money now goes for food support than helping farmers), and can't find many to agree with me.