Monday, May 27, 2013

The clutter of magazines

I used to collect first issues of magazines, in fact, I have a blog about them called In the Beginning.  But I’m trying to resist scanning magazine sections of bookstores and supermarkets.  It takes up a lot of space.  I love reading the occasional article on-line, but nothing replaces the feel and look of a fresh magazine.

Linda Lignon, the former owner of Interweave, one of the nation's largest art and craft media entities, and now its Creative Director after selling it to F+W Media, Inc. F+W Media, Inc.  last July, writes at her blog:

“Like many women my age (and younger), I wax eloquent about my love of paper, pages to turn, magazines as objects. And I hope they never go away. But at the same time, if I had to choose between a set of pages to fondle and all the rich content those pages hold, I'll take the content any day. That's the beauty of magazines in electronic form, on CDs, on the Internet. You can have the content without the clutter. On the other hand, I'm pretty comfortable with clutter. It's a conundrum.”

No comments: