Thursday, February 13, 2014

Photo ID

I volunteer on the west side of Columbus. It's not a "bad" area, but a little seedy. Yesterday I parked so I could make it through the snow, and noticed a sign on the door of an employment agency. Not one, but two, forms of ID were required to apply for a job. Must be a racist organization, although I'm pretty sure it was a government contractor.

On Monday I picked up my list of prescription charges from the pharmacy for our taxes.  My husband is not allowed to pick up the list.  I’m there a lot; they know me.  After giving them my name and birthdate, and they brought up the record on the computer, they asked for a photo ID.

In Illinois, the president’s home state, there is a new law that took effect on January 1, 2012  requiring all people who purchase drain cleaners or any caustic substances to provide a government issued photo ID. This happened because someone back in 2008 used a caustic substance to hurt someone.

North Carolinians marching to protest voter-ID laws had to present a valid photo ID to participate in an NAACP-hosted protest against voter-ID laws in Raleigh last Saturday.

And yet the Democrats claim that there is very little voter fraud.  How would they know? And how much is a little? And why don’t they want people to have identification for cashing checks, or picking up prescriptions, or applying for jobs?  So they can keep them helpless victims, dependent on politicians?

No comments: