Thursday, November 04, 2004

567 Post Election Media

After flipping through the channels Tuesday night, I went to bed about 10 p.m. I got up about 3 a.m. and watched the returns. I skipped CBS when I saw Dan Rather, so I have no comment about its coverage. O'Reilly at Fox says Rather was the best of the MSM--but they are friends. Peter Jennings seemed to be behaving himself; I saw no facial tics or sneers when he mentioned the President. Brokaw just looked tired, even that early. Fox just reported, and for news, I think they do a better job of balance. They include bombastic left talking heads on their opinion shows, like Susan Estrich, who all but called Kerry the winner based on Exit Polls. Liberals don't see Fox as a viable alternative because they are always in shock to see a different viewpoint.

But the day after, when it became apparent that counting Ohio's provisional votes (we had many counties with more registered "voters" than we had adults eligible to vote, and guess who had signed them up) wouldn't make any difference, I clicked through again. Really, the main stream media was practically in a state of grief. They put the most negative spin possible on what was good news to 51% of the voters.

This morning CNN is covering at great length the obsurd coverage of far left newspapers in Britain, like the Guardian which tried to influence the vote in Clark County, Ohio and called (jokingly, they said) for Bush's assassination. One paper pondered how 60,000,000 people could be so dumb. I think I can see through CNN's little game here. And they practically have a catch in their collective throats when they rerun Kerry's concession speech. Now the news babe (looks like a model) is whining that the media get blamed, when all she wants to do is give us information--this after she expressed her own disbelief at the number who said they thought Bush could unite the country (a CNN poll).

I watched Kerry's speech. For the first time I believed him--when he spoke of his sadness and dashed hopes. On this he probably won't change his mind, and we can only hope he doesn't turn into a raving sorehead like Al Gore.

No comments: