Monday, November 15, 2004

592 Applesauce Pie

Years ago, maybe around Thanksgiving, Phoebe Timberlake and I were strolling through the marble/terrazo halls of the elegant card catalog room at the University of Illinois Library. We had become acquainted in library school--although we had first met when she worked in university personnel and I worked in the Russian language center because our offices were in the same building. Phoebe was telling me about "applesauce pie." It sounded sort of revolting--I'm a big fan of apple pie, and I don't want it overcooked. Today I saw a recipe for it, and thought it looked pretty good. Sort of like a custard. Also since it only needs one crust and I can probably substitute Splenda for the sugar, it will be lower in calories than my usual decadent creations. It was also nice to remember a librarian friend I haven't seen since 1966 (who went on to become quite successful in the serials field).

APPLESAUCE PIE
1 3/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbl. flour
1 cup milk
1 tea. vanilla
pinch of nutmeg

Combine all ingredients & mix thoroughly. Pour into unbaked pie shell & bake 25-30 minutes at 350 or until filling doesn't giggle when the pan is moved. Serve with sweet whipped cream.

This recipe was submitted to Collectors Newsletter #275 November 2004 by Nancy B., Eatonville, WA. You can read this newsletter online, or subscribe to text only, as I do. I thoroughly enjoy the reader-contributed stories.

I thought I'd add a few super-duper links to the U. of I. Library, but they are ugly and utilitarian, with no need to physically ever visit the campus.

No comments: