Sunday, November 21, 2004

606 Back When We Were Grown-ups

Many books when transitioned to movies get "done" beyond recognition, but I thought the adaptation of Anne Tyler's "Back When We Were Grown-ups" stayed pretty faithful. Our book club read this novel last year. Blythe Danner did a nice job, but she sure isn't a plump 53 year old, which was probably the biggest digression from the novel. Her blended family is a bit confusing, so I was glad I vaguely recalled the story line about a woman who marries into a family business and becomes a step-mother to boot, then is left a young widow. We meet her when all the children are grown and they return home for various occasions. We also meet the man Beck (Danner) deserted to marry Joe (whom we see only in flashbacks), Will (Peter Fonda). Not even the ageist remarks by Boston Herald can darken the luster of this good cast, ". . .the AARP all-star cast of Blythe Danner, Faye Dunaway, Jack Palance, Peter Fonda and Peter Riegert - median age 66 - looks remarkably taut." And the journalist doesn't even mention Nina Foch, who has to be in her 80s and played Danner's mother.

I'm a descendant of Palatine immigrant Michael Danner/Tanner (ca. 1696- bef. 1782) and I believe Blythe Danner is also. That has nothing to do with this movie, but I don't have an opportunity to be a name dropper often. This was also the first movie I watched on my new little 2 seater wicker couch in my redecorated office. Works just great.

No comments: