Saturday, November 13, 2004

588 Do we really need more labels?

I think my regular correspondence is down to two people--a friend from high school and a cousin. Everything else is e-mail. But no one has told the organizations that ask for money and send you gummed address labels as a trade that correspondence is flourishing, but not by land.

Today in the mail I received labels from the University of Illinois. They are going in the drawer with the labels from Easter Seals, UNICEF, Tauck World of Discovery (have no idea, either), our bank, Doctors without Borders, Arthritis Foundation, Lung Association, Christmas seals and two that have had the identity label removed and I don't know the source. We've only lived here two years, don't contribute to any of them except the U. of I., and they've found us anyway. They've started adding little labels you can adhere to your calendars. But even that will have limited usefulness as people go to the hand-held digital calendar devices.

Assuming I live another 25 years, I think I could use up this current supply, if I never move, and if I use them on Christmas envelopes. But I sure don't need any more.

No comments: