Tuesday, November 23, 2004

609 Operation Christmas Child

Our church narthex at Mill Run is a drop off site for Operation Christmas Child and yesterday, the last day, it was really humming. Volunteers and donors were every where, and the room was filling up. About 10 a.m. I remembered. So I got out the four plastic shoe boxes I bought on sale for about 88 cents each and brought out the items I’d been purchasing through out the year. Actually, there wasn’t as much as I remembered, and I only had items in certain suggested categories. But I read the directions and decided I didn’t need everything on the list. Toys are missing from my boxes this year. Inexpensive small toys are so cheaply made I don’t even look for them anymore. Even small puzzles or games seem to be in the $5 neighborhood. I had some nice shirts and pants all for girls ages 2-4 (all purchased at end of season sales), mittens or socks, soap, combs, slippers, school scissors, and hard candy to fill in all the empty spaces. The snap on lids would barely go on, so even if I’d bought more school supplies or a toy, I don’t think they would have fit.

No comments: