Friday, November 19, 2004

603 Save Your Shoulder Pads and Get a Perm

The sweater I took to the dry cleaners yesterday still had shoulder pads. But hey. The 80s are coming back--I'll just leave them. The perm I got in February won't die. The 80s are coming back--I'll encourage it.

Today's Wall Street article by Noah Oppenheim says the children of the 80s are now arbiters of fashion and culture, and they are panicked and returning to the womb. I think that's a bit dramatic. They aren't that frightened of Bush or the terrorists. I remember well in the 70s everyone was doing the 50s. Remember Grease and Happy Days? We didn't even have Ronald Reagan--just high inflation and Jimmy Carter. They tried a few things to resurrect the 70s in the 90s, but all that awful orange, gold and avocado green was just too imprinted in our memories and no one would go for it.

Here's what's coming back to celebrate the 80s:
Big hair
Shine and glitz
Excess and greed
Glam
Duran, Duran
Loud, hard rock
Crocodile Lacoste shirts
A-Team
Dallas
Dukes of Hazzard
U-2
Whoopie's new one woman show



Christmas 1985 Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Paula said...

Ooh, the Dukes and U2! Two of my fave things, besides leggings and leg warmers. And Pat Benatar!! LOL

I'm reliving the 80s cuz I have a kitty now. Yep, that kitty has adopted us and I went out and bought her a cuddly bed and some Meow Mix last night. I told her, there's your bed, and she slept in it all night. Pics will be up soon.

Norma said...

Paula, you are a good person. Will you fold the kitty into the novel--in a literary sense, of course?

I'd forgotten leg warmers. They were sort of practical--at least here in Ohio.