Tuesday, April 10, 2007

3680

Here we go again!

We're closing in on the last room of the home we moved into five years ago. The gay decorators who lived here in the 90s were fabulous and successful, I'm sure, but the brown living room, orange dining room, red family room, and dark hunter green and black guest room (all with a faux glaze with ceilings to match the walls) were a bit over the top for us, especially with enough yards of heavy drapes at the windows to canopy Scioto Downs. Now we're about to tackle the master bedroom which is dark blue with a lighter comb glaze, or maybe it is gray with a dark blue glaze.

This is the new bedspread--sort of a blue and creamy ivory and pale green

It's never easy, is it? There are light fixtures that should be replaced, holes in the walls that will need to be patched from the removed drapery rods, a medicine cabinet that must have cost all of $10 when new, and bathroom marble tile that won't exactly work with the paint I've picked out. I'm guessing the patching and light fixtures and new mirror will run us $1,000, and that's before we even buy the primer. To make matters more complicated, the comb faux glaze has a texture that may not cover properly.

When the painter (recommended by a friend) came by to give us an estimate, he brought his tiny, preemy baby (I weighed more than he does when I was born). Originally, he and his wife were in this business together, but now she has a "regular" job and the baby was a surprise. Then the mother-in-law from out of state to help out until July, but she got sick and was hospitalized and is now in a local nursing home.

Goodness. I guess funny wall colors isn't much of a problem to have, is it?

2 comments:

Melli said...

Oh my! Sounds like a real tackle! I always do the painting myself at my house.... and I would sand those walls before I prime them. I have only ever glazed one room - my powder room and because of that "texture" I will never glaze again! At any rate, it IS a lot of work -- but it's also SO much fun bringing a new room to life! Good luck! I hope you'll show us before and afters!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Painting is not my strong suit. I've done the small rooms, but hired out anything large (which was most of the house). Glaze is something I'd never mess with.
Sounds like your painter has his hands full.
My towel folding instructions were to make sure that my closet was Martha approved :)