Wednesday, April 11, 2007

3686

McGrorty vs. County of Los Angeles Public Library

Although I've never heard of a person being denied a job in a library because he is a military veteran (we had to give them--especially Vietnam vets--preference when I was interviewing), I suppose that is possible in California where "patriotism" can't even salute the flag and conservatives can be shouted off podiums on campuses. Still, it is one of the oddest employment cases I've read, because usually librarians are very liberal (223:1) and in favor of all the knee deep employment regs that the left uses to keep people out of jobs. Especially if they have one of their own waiting for it. I'm guessing, just from his name, that he's the wrong ethnicity for the positions he wants. Or maybe he's straight. Or not transgendered. Who knows. Maybe he's over 45?

McGrorty is one of the best writers you'll ever find on the internet, no matter the topic. I have no idea what sort of librarian he is, because I'm not sure he's ever been one.

No comments: