Saturday, April 21, 2007

3735

Is Al Gore the new Rachel Carson?

Were you surprised that the Christian Science Monitor declared Al Gore "the Rachel Carson of global warming?" [Story was in Wall Street Journal by Katherine Mangu-Ward] I was stunned. This should be an insult, a death blow to his movement. Do the editors not know? More Africans have died of malaria since the 1970s when her book was read by do-gooders and entertainers who then lobbied and protested DDT off the market than were killed in the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Malaria was all but defeated. They aren't apparently being killed by the increased use of pesticides to deal with the resurgence of mosquitoes, although that can't be too healthy either. Then when I checked Amazon.com I see that he wrote an introduction to a new edition of one of her books, so I guess he just doesn't care about black and brown people, to turn on a phrase of a well-known comedian.

Now, through Al Gore's misinformation and whipped up hysteria, the West will be shutting down factories and mines in developing countries, even as we try to find places (outside our own country) to manufacture energy saving lightbulbs that contain mercury. And then the food stuffs we might have sent them to keep their poor babies alive (assuming we don't send in medical teams to abort them), we'll be burning in our SUVs.

I don't think this is good for your movement, Al.

2 comments:

JustaDog said...

I'm still waiting for Gore to explain why the Great Lakes were formed thousands of years ago by ancient ice burgs. Could it be that they dynamics of Earth's weather happens in cycles that span lengths greater than the last 100 years?

Norma said...

As much as I dislike Gore's politicising this issue, I think I'd prefer him to H. Clinton or Edwards (he appears to be running for president). As food prices soar from burning corn in our gas tanks and people in 3rd world countries die as we shut down their fuel sources, I think he'll figure it out. Somehow, I don't think Hillary will.

The Republicans will have to really start digging to find someone not crippled by the wimp-factor. Romney is the only one of the bunch I'd even consider.