Thursday, November 05, 2009

What's wrong with this book?

Nothing that I can see. Here's a review from Amazon by a reviewer who has eclectic tastes and writes frequently.
    "The Way Into Torah" is a superbly written, highly accessible introduction for the general reading seeking guidance on how to effectively read, study, and understand the Torah, including the other books of the Bible and the related sacred texts that grew up around it. Norman Cohen is Rabbi and Professor of Midrash at Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, and brings his expertise and experience to bear in presenting just what the Torah is and how it came about, the different approaches to studying the Torah, the various levels of understanding the Torah, and what the Torah study is an essential aspect of the Jewish experience. The Way Into Torah is an ideal beginning point for commencing a personal study of the Torah.
I checked the publisher, Jewish Lights, and it seems fine as near as I can tell from the other titles in its catalog. The copyright is recent--2000--at least for a religious book, and the Torah is thousands of years old so probably not much has changed. It's part of a 14 volume series, "The Way into. . ." which has many interesting titles. It's not damaged or moldy or water marked. No foxing. There's a smidgen of tomato sauce on the title page, but that might be mine from yesterday's lunch.

I found it in the freebie box at church, but its most recent provenance before it was purchased at a used book sale for $2.00 then donated to our church, was the Upper Arlington Public Library. So, it isn't only Lutherans and Evangelicals they don't like there. I went into the catalog and did a word search on "Torah," and found 2 titles, both for juveniles. Then I did a subject search on "Judaism," and found a hodge podge, bits and snippets. This book was truly needed for some balance and fleshing out of the collection.

Someone who knows more about the range of possibilities for good books on Judaism and its sacred texts needs to go there and review the collection. Not that you'll get far, of course. When I pointed out to them that their most recent book on Lutherans was over 40 years old despite having one of the largest Lutheran churches in the country right here in Upper Arlington, they made a real effort and bought ONE additional title, a collection of essays published in the 21st century. Wow. They're only nice to us when there's a bond issue, so have your list ready early.

Banned Books week is over for this year, but here's my friendly, insider reminder: objectionable books are banned before they ever get to the shelf--it's called book selection in library-speak. But "deacquisition" of one that slipped through is also a useful technique.

2 comments:

Deep River said...

Norma,
Thank you for pointing this out. I just began my MLIS program: out of 40+ students, only 2 of us are conservative. Last class session, they were complaining about how annoying religious people are always challenging books. When I pointed out that at my library, they refuse to purchase conservative books in anywhere near the glut of liberal items we have, their brains refused to understand why this is a problem. After all, Glenn Beck is evil (one girl said something along these lines).

The problem of Collection Development bias is rampant: our library says they don’t have the funds to buy the peer-reviewed conservative items I request, yet when they buy cartloads of erotica drek, I know it’s not really about money.

Any hints on how to best handle the next couple of years without grinding my teeth completely down? I can always go into and Information field upon graduation, but I do need the MLIS. I am using an alias instead of using my name now, since I know how retalitory liberals can be in the library profession.

Norma said...

I hope you will stay in the field--the profession needs you. I have no advice on how to handle your liberal friends, because when I was a LIS student I was a humanist, a democrat, and you could have driven a truck load of crap through my mind, it was so "open." My career was in academe, also a hot bed of liberalism and tenured radicals, but because my collection was specific and narrow (agriculture, veterinary medicine, sciences) and my library well endowed, and I'm an ethical person, I didn't stray beyond the borders of what was best for my students and faculty. Life and living opened my eyes as I saw the emptiness of those beliefs. Maybe there is hope for your classmates.

Yes, do write anonymously--liberals are really vicious when it comes to hiring their own and firing or not hiring those who don't toe the party line. It's way beyond racial or ethnic prejudice and they are so blind to their own bias, as you've discovered in class. And it's considered right to do it.