Friday, July 11, 2014

Out and about on the Marblehead Peninsula

I was at a local bank next to a McDonald's today. Noticed the sign for workers at McDonald's. $10/hour. Ohio's minimum is $7.95/hour, higher than the federal. During the Bush years when it was very difficult to get Americans to work in the leisure industry (seasonal), we had a lot of East European and Baltic college students working in Lakeside. After a full shift they'd ride their bicycles several miles to McDonald's and work another shift. Their ambition was impressive, but after traveling when their 10 weeks were up, they went home--with their money.

The bank drive-through had a video camera, so the employee could see everything I was doing.  Well, I was eating potato chips, so I turned my head away from the camera.

We also have a Wal-Mart Super store about a mile from the bank, from which I can’t leave without having spent $40 when I only needed a few items.  Today I was there sort of early, so in the back of the store where I was browsing bikes I will never buy, the employees were having a pep rally of sorts.  Later when I was checking out, I mentioned it to the cashier.  She smiled and said that those at the register weren’t there.  Then she noted that they are only allowed 2 minutes to get from the back of the store to their registers! (It’s a long walk.) The staff there are well trained, polite and helpful.  Instead of pointing if you ask about something, they walk with you to the right location. Also, as is typical at a Wal-Mart, the merchandise is selected to meet the needs of the area, which in this case, is vacation land with a lot of boats and cottages.

Golf carts are very popular in Lakeside. So are cell phones. Unfortunately, many people my age and older are doing both.

Photo: Golf carts are very popular in Lakeside.  So are cell phones.  Unfortunately, many people my age and older are doing both.

No comments: