Friday, July 11, 2014

Silence in the face of evil

“One of the things that I noticed when touring Daucau and Flossenbürg concentration camps was that there were many more non-Jewish German citizens who had been imprisoned and died in those camps than I ever realized (along with Jews, Gypsies, those deemed socially unacceptable, Russians, etc). They were, of course, those who took a stand against the Nazis and/or spoke out about the existence of the camps. It helped me to understand how those camps could be so close to the towns (or in the case of Flossenbürg, in the town) and the towns people 'didn't notice them'. Intimidation and fear work wonders to keep people blind, justifying and silent. It could happen anywhere. Anyway, just an insight I gathered from my observations there that may or may not be accurate on my part. In memory of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.” Beth Shaw at Facebook

http://blog.speakupmovement.org/university/thought-reform/dietrich-bonhoeffer-subversive-religious-freedom-advocate/

No comments: