Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Are academic peace studies programs working?

Sometimes I ask Google just any thought that comes to mind. She's better at this than most librarians in response time. Today it was "When was the first 'peace studies' program established at a college or university?" (For some reason, I have my doubts that they are working. ) Guess what came up? Manchester University in North Manchester, Indiana where I went to college my freshman year. I'll accept 1948, but am guessing there was a name change somewhere. There is a chair named for Gladdys Muir, my world history professor.

http://www.manchester.edu/academics/departments/peace_studies/index.shtml

Fall 2014 classes began August 27. “Preliminary figures released Tuesday show that there are 441 first-year students, a 20 percent increase over Fall 2013 (367). Total University enrollment is now at 1,479, a 9.6 percent increase over Fall 2013 (1,349), bolstered by a 30 percent increase in transfers and new pharmacy enrollment.”

More pharmacy students?  Wow.  That’s a profession that is overstocked with graduates because so many universities rushed to establish schools in the 90s and 2000s. Definitely an over supply now.  

No comments: